Boiled yam is an easy and fast yam meal. Preparing this is as easy as boiling white rice or boiling water. Lol. Because it is prepared without any special ingredients, it gives you a wide range of sauces and stews to eat it with. Boiled yam could be eaten with Tomato Stew, Vegetable Sauce, Pepper Sauce, fried egg or egg sauce…or anything you can think of pairing it with…our taste buds differ. This recipe is for boiled yam and egg sauce. Let’s go!
Eggs (the number you are cooking the yam for with one or two extra eggs)
STEP BY STEP GUIDE
1. Cut the yam tuber into 1 inch slices. Just enough for the number of people you are cooking for. Peel and cut the slices in half or you could leave them round or cut them into any shape you like. Wash the slices, place in a pot, sprinkle salt over it and pour water over it. The water should not cover the yam.
2. Boil till the yam is cooked. You can check this by driving a fork into the slices and if you are able to do this without force, your yam is cooked. Drain excess water and set aside.
3. Chop your fresh tomatoes, onion and roughly blend your fresh pepper. Break the eggs, beat/whisk them and set aside.
4. In a dry frying pan or a pot, pour in some vegetable oil (two to three cooking spoons). Heat the oil and add the chopped onions then stir fry for 30 seconds to a minute.
5. Add the fresh tomatoes then the fresh pepper. Stir fry this mixture till the tomatoes are cooked. Then add your seasoning cubes and salt to taste (add a little extra salt so that it does not become tastless when you add the eggs). Mix everything together and taste the tomato sauce for any adjustments (you cannot add ingredients after you add the eggs; it may not mix properly).
6. Pour in the whisked eggs, gently spreading it round the pot/pan. Use your cooking spoon to part the tomatoes from the eggs so that the eggs don’t float.
7. If you want your eggs to be lumpy when cooked, do not stir the mixture just cover the pot for 2 to 3 minutes then open and stir gently (the steam helps in cooking the eggs, especially if you’re using a lot of eggs and since you want lumps, you cannot stir so cover and cook). But if you don’t want the eggs to be lumpy, stir fry the mixture after you add the eggs till it is properly cooked. Your egg sauce is ready!
Serve hot with your boiled yam and chow away! Some people eat white rice and egg sauce, bread and egg sauce together and any other thing they could possibly pair with their egg sauce. Like I said, our taste buds differ. So there, you have it! Your yam and egg sauce recipe…*wink*